Greetings Earthlings, 

Things are much better today compared to yesterday afternoon and night! Ruth has been moved from Post Anesthetic Care to a bed on the Acute Care bed. Her neurosurgeon was here, and personally took Ruth for a short walk. She is a fantastic surgeon—one of the top 2 or 3 people in the world for surgery on Ehlers-Danlos patients, yet she is very humble and has a great sense of humor. 

Last night at the PACU was pretty grim. Ruth spent several hours at a pain level of 10 out of 10. And Ruth has spent the last several months at a constant pain 8 or 9 out of 10, so she knows about pain. Also severe nausea, and her low oxygen monitor alarm kept going off when her O2 regularly got down to the low 80s. And she was babbling incoherently. I was pretty worried when I left at midnight, but her nurse was fantastic and she said I had to get some rest (and she would be watching Ruth like a hawk)!  THIS PS from Ruth: Couldn't get them to hear me b/c I could barely talk and even w oxygen could not move to deeper breaths due to pain.

So it was pretty great to arrive this d find her pain level at a 4 or 5, and find her completely coherent. She sat in a chair to eat breakfast. The neurosurgeon said Ruth was doing way better than the vast majority of her patients with this kind of surgery, who are mostly in their 30s and 40s. (And she said she was serious.)

Sorry this is so long! I’ll post again over the next couple days, but they will be short and boring! Thanks so much to all of you for sending healing thoughts and for your prayers!

Phil (The Icelandic Princess’ Consort)

Comments

  1. This is such welcome news, Phil--thank you. Please don't apologize for the length: this is one of those times when you may be as wordy as you like! Love and virtual hugs to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Sitting and walking 24 hours post op but that is no surprise with Ruth’s “woman behind the plow” North Dakota roots. Give her my best! I’m cheering for her to win! And, thanks so much for the update, Phil. It means so much to hear how you’re both doing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such encouraging news, Phil. Thanks be to God, her wonderful surgeon, and Ruth's indomitable spirit! I am holding you both close in prayer and heart and I know I am not alone. Ruth is getting better and will continue on that path. Take good care of yourself too, Phil. Love and hugs to you both.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

9 Weeks! Update

MADE IT HOME~!

Notes to EDS Patients having this surgery