PATIENCE is the name of the Game

 5.5 weeks post op! Sometimes it amazes me I had this surgery after so many months of work to figure out why my head was exploding and why I couldn’t perform the “drunk walk” (very ataxic), and oh so many other problems from the brain pressure!  I am cutting back on the pain meds because the pain is now less but that can be a problem just to judge so I don’t let it get too bad.  I still experience some “sledge hammer to skull” and of course the muscle spasms and swelling on neck and shoulders is abating.  Incisional pain is almost nothing although there are still some areas that have more healing to do.  

NOW I have to be patient with my body to catch up to what I would like to be  able to do. I made some pancakes for breakfast and couldn’t finish putting away the ingredients after I made them for us. Napped.  I feel pretty weak from time to time and of course I still nap several times a day.

    We have been so so lucky to have so many people take such good care of us! Food, wine, so many gifts! And such tasty food! We have shared some with son Marty too and he is very happy to help us eat when we have abundance!  So people are helping make sure I am getting healing food and I am doing my best to keep swallowing and eating even though some issues with swallowing persist. My throat gets tired and I have to use Phil’s black and decker (not really! Cusinart) drill blender to get food mushy enough to swallow.  I was warned it could be up to 10 weeks so…

Also my voice is still tired and I get tired if I talk too long.  I tried to sing with my Hildegarde von Bingen group and OH DEAR. Nope.No singing yet. Sound like an alto dead frog instead of springlike soprano.   

We are having some visitors from time to time and we sit on the deck to avoid anyone spreading any potential illness.  I get tired and have to go nap so do not feel like you are being marginalized if I have to say no I cannot take a visitor or if I have to get up and go to bed! Still pretty limited energy but I AM getting better and I see a trajectory toward positive!  Patience.  Over the years I have learned to enjoy each bird song, the blooms of our plants, the sun and rain, simply each and every moment.  Everything will wait.  

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

9 Weeks! Update

MADE IT HOME~!

Notes to EDS Patients having this surgery